NOW SHIPPING unless indicated otherwise
• Austrian Pine Plug Seedlings – now shipping •
• Balsam Fir Seedling Plugs – now shipping •
• Black Hills Spruce Seedling Plugs – available now for pre-order, starts shipping end of Oct •
• Canaan Fir Seedling Plugs – not available in 2017-2018, [see seedlings, transplants] •
• Colorado Blue Spruce Seedling Plugs – now shipping •
• Concolor Fir Seedling Plugs – not available in 2017-2018 [see seedlings, transplants] •
• Douglas Fir Seedling Plugs – not available in 2017-2018, [see seedlings, transplants, ] •
• Eastern Red Cedar Plug Seedlings – now shipping •
• Fraser Fir Seedling Plugs – now shipping •
• Meyers Spruce Seedling Plugs – available now for pre-order, starts shipping end of Oct •
• Norway Spruce Seedling Plugs – now shipping •
• Ponderosa Pine Seedling Plugs – now shipping •
• Red Pine Seedling Plugs – now shipping •
• Serbian Spruce Seedling Plugs – not available in 2017-2018, [see seedlings, transplants, plug transplants] •
• Tamarack Larch Seedling Plugs – not available till Spring 2018 •
• Variety Packs of Evergreen Seedling Plugs – now shipping •
• White Cedar Seedling Plugs – now shipping •
• White Pine Seedling Plugs – now shipping •
• White Spruce Seedling Plugs – available now for pre-order, starts shipping end of Oct •
Confused about species? Try our Evergreen Tree Buyer’s Guide >>
What is an evergreen plug seedling?
Plug seedlings are germinated from seed in trays [not in the ground], each tray containing 198 cigar-shaped cells, each cell filled with peat moss, soil and other highly beneficial organic material. Evergreen seedling plugs are ready to ship when the soil in each cell has been taken over and “plugged” by the seedling’s roots. Plug seedlings are often transplanted by wholesalers for field growing because they are technically not dug up like “bare root” trees, leaving their root systems almost completely undisturbed. With this advantage, they can begin putting out new root growth and new top growth fairly quickly once planted. Plug seedlings experience much less stress during shipping and transplanting than bare root trees often do, and can be planted much earlier and later in the season than bare root trees. Our plug seedling sizes can range widely, from 4 to 20 inches [not including roots] depending on the species, but most of our plug seedlings average 6 to 14 inches. Please refer to the exact sizing info on each tree’s specific page.
What are the advantages of a plug seedling?
Winter shipments: Plug seedlings can be shipped from our site in MI at nearly any time of year, such as before the ground has thawed. Our bare root shipping season cannot start until the ground is thawed, but we can bring trays of plug seedlings indoors to thaw for shipment to weddings, corporate events or to southern states…pretty much whenever you like.
Late Spring/Summer shipments: Plug seedlings can be shipped long after they have broken bud or have begun candling [a time when bare root evergreens would die if dug and shipped]. At this time of year we generally pack them with their tender new top growth exposed to the open air inside the box, thus only temporarily interrupting their daily diet of sunlight and allowing them to pull moisture from their root plug and transpire it into the open air to keep cool. They actually keep growing during transit and keep their vitality much longer than bare root. This means plug seedlings can safely be shipped and planted even in June and even July, long after the traditional bare root season is done, because they are actually already planted when you open the box!
Undisturbed root systems: Plug seedlings by their very nature are shipped with their root systems almost perfectly undisturbed and undamaged, unlike traditional bare root, because they literally pop out of the trays with virtually no stress or damage to the root system. Because of this undisturbed root system, they experience far less “transplant shock” during extraction/sorting/packing/shipping than bare root, which allows them to put on more growth than bare root in the same amount of time.
Super fast planting: And perhaps the most important advantage of all from your point of view, plug seedlings are just jaw droppingly fast and easy to plant provided that you have an old 1 inch drill bit and a cordless drill. For many people, the amount of time and backbreaking work saved using this planting method [as shown in our plug seedling video on YouTube] often outweighs the lower cost of bare root seedlings.
Individual Plastic Packaging [available for ALL trees]
Individual Gift Bag Packaging [available for ALL trees]
Individual Eco Packaging [available for plug seedlings only]
Custom Laser Cut Pendants [seedlings and packaging sold separately]
Just For Fun
A promotional campaign by Hanes, using our evergreen plug seedlings in the product photos…click to enlarge. Pretty cool.