Norway Spruce are a fast growing, dark-green evergreen tree with short needles. The pleasant overall appearance makes this spruce species ideal as an ornamental evergreen. Its growth rate is well-suited to applications such as windbreaks and privacy screens, although the foliage of Norway Spruce is not as dense as some other species.
Norway Spruce Plug Seedlings for sale, approx 6-12″ tall [click to enlarge]
Norway Spruce plug seedlings have aggressive root systems which make them good for erosion control, and this characteristic also makes them fairly drought tolerant once established.
Norway Spruce are the dominant evergreen in Europe, and although they are not native to the US, they are commonly planted throughout the Northeast and as far south as Tennessee. Norway Spruce plug seedlings can survive even farther south if planted at higher elevation. However, they are best suited to temperate climates, need full sun, and prefer richer somewhat acidic soils. They can reach a jaw-dropping height of 200 feet, but most max out at a “merely impressive” 80 feet.
PLANT IN RECORD TIME:
Watch how to plant evergreen seedling plugs faster and with less effort than any other type of “bare root” evergreen tree. With just a cordless drill, a garden cart or wheelbarrow, a 5 gallon bucket of water, and any old/dull/rusty 1 inch drill bit you have lying around, you can realistically plant one plug seedling per minute. Your back will thank us later 🙂
Norway Spruce plug seedlings: characteristics and info• prefers hardiness zones 3-6
• prefers full sun to partial shade
• mature height and spread: 60-80 ft high, 30 ft spread
• prefers slightly acidic loamy soils, but is quite adaptable to a wide range of soils
• Morton Arboretum info on Picea abies
• Norway Spruce Sizes and Availability:
--- Norway Spruce seedlings [pre-order now for Spring 2019]
--- Norway Spruce transplants [pre-order now for Spring 2019]
--- Norway Spruce plug seedlings [pre-order now for Spring 2019]
--- Norway Spruce plug transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Norway Spruce conservation grade plug transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
• order using the green buttons below (if visible), or use our evergreen mailorder form or our custom invoice request form
• Comparable alternative species: Black Spruce, Black Hills Spruce, Colorado Blue Spruce, Meyers Spruce, Serbian Spruce and White Spruce. Confused about species? Check out our Evergreen Tree Buyers Guide
PRE-ORDER NOW FOR SPRING 2019!
These specific evergreen plug seedlings are available for pre-order now and start shipping in Spring 2019 when they say they are ready [TBD]. If you’d like to delay shipment to May or even June of 2019, please specify that date in a follow up email after placing your order.