Popular species of christmas tree seedlings pictured above, also commonly known as bare root evergreen seedlings [click to enlarge]
Bare root evergreen seedlings for sale:
[see also our wide selection of evergreen plug seedlings >>]
• Austrian Pine Seedlings – FOR SALE, NOW SHIPPING
• Bald Cypress Seedlings – shipping in Spring 2020, no other options currently available
• Balsam Fir Seedlings – FOR SALE, NOW SHIPPING
• Black Hills Spruce Seedlings – FOR SALE, NOW SHIPPING
• Black Spruce Seedlings – shipping in Spring 2020, no other options currently available
• Colorado Spruce Seedlings – FOR SALE, NOW SHIPPING
• Concolor Fir Seedlings – shipping in Spring 2020, see Concolor Fir plug transplants
• Douglas Fir Seedlings – shipping in Fall 2020, see Douglas Fir transplants, Douglas Fir plug seedlings
• Eastern Red Cedar Seedlings – shipping in Spring 2020, see Eastern Red Cedar plug transplants
• Fraser Fir Seedlings – shipping in Spring 2020, see Fraser Fir plug seedlings, Fraser Fir plug transplants
• Norway Spruce Seedlings – FOR SALE, NOW SHIPPING
• Ponderosa Pine Seedlings – FOR SALE, NOW SHIPPING
• Red Pine Seedlings – discontinued in this size, see Red Pine plug seedlings, Red Pine plug transplants
• Serbian Spruce Seedlings – shipping in Fall 2020, see Serbian Spruce plug transplants
• Variety Packs of Evergreen Seedlings – FOR SALE, NOW SHIPPING
• White Cedar Seedlings – discontinued in this size, see White Cedar plug seedlings, White Cedar plug transplants
• White Pine Seedlings – FOR SALE, NOW SHIPPING
• White Spruce Seedlings – FOR SALE, NOW SHIPPING
Confused about species? Try our Evergreen Tree Buyer’s Guide >>
Need a later ship date?
Order now to reserve trees in your name, and then either reply to your receipt or contact us with your requested ship date and we’ll schedule accordingly.
What are bare root evergreen seedlings?
Germinated from seed directly in the ground and grown for one to two years, wholesalers often buy bare root evergreen seedlings to transplant for field growing. Bare root seedlings are among the cheapest but also the smallest size of evergreen tree that you can buy, and come in a myriad of species and relative sizes. Most pine and spruce seedlings tend to grow faster and are therefore usually larger than fir seedlings.
What are the best for Christmas tree seedlings?
The number one species of Christmas tree seedlings are Fraser Fir, hands down, but Frasers are picky about where they like to grow, what soil they grow in, and how much water they want. Excellent runner ups which are often easier to grow include Balsam Fir, Douglas Fir, Canaan Fir, Concolor Fir, Colorado Blue Spruce and Black Hills Spruce.
We grow our nursery stock in southwest Michigan in the lower peninsula, which features a perfect climate and soil for this type of farming. Our evergreens receive significant “lake effect” snowfall in the winter, which tends to mitigate problems such as evergreen tree winterburn. Evergreen nurseries in this area are only rivaled in size and production by those in Oregon and Washington.
Bare root evergreen seedlings require significant care during the first growing season after planting, especially providing adequate water during hot or dry weather. The major advantage of traditional “bare root” is the low cost and relative ease of planting. However, this low cost and ease of planting comes with the trade-off: small size and the need for significant TLC [and good weather] during the first year to achieve success.
If you can successfully nurse a freshly planted crop of bare roots seedlings for the first year, they are significantly more robust the following year. They will need no significant additional help except occasional watering during mild to moderate drought.
How are bare root evergreen seedlings shipped?
We carefully dip the bare roots in water, then pack in plastic bags containing damp sphagnum moss to retain good moisture during shipping. As the weather warms up in late April and May, we often pack smaller orders with the roots wrapped but the green foliage exposed to allow the trees to breathe during transit. We guarantee high standards of packing and shipping, because it’s on us if things go wrong.