[a.k.a. Colorado Spruce, Blue Spruce]
Colorado Blue Spruce plug seedlings mature to become very hardy and visually dense, and grow at an average rate, about 1 foot per year. It’s cones are anywhere from 2 to 4 inches long and have a brown chestnut color.
The Colorado Spruce is anchored with a deep root system, protecting it from mild drought and high winds. It requires little pruning to maintain its beautiful conical shape, and retains its needles better than almost any spruce (handy when removing it from your home after Christmas).
Colorado Blue Spruce plug seedlings grow from Kentucky north (but can do well in lower states such as New Mexico and Arizona if planted at elevations above 5,000 feet), as well as east of Idaho. Colorado Blue Spruce can handle a little bit of shade, but full sun is generally best.
PLANT IN RECORD TIME:
Watch how to plant evergreen seedling plugs faster and with less effort than any other type of “bare root” evergreen tree. With just a cordless drill, a garden cart or wheelbarrow, a 5 gallon bucket of water, and any old/dull/rusty 1 inch drill bit you have lying around, you can realistically plant one plug seedling per minute. Your back will thank us later 🙂
Colorado Blue Spruce plug seedlings: characteristics and info• prefers hardiness zones 3-6
• prefers full sun but does fine in partial shade when young
• mature height and spread: up to 75 ft high, 20 ft spread
• prefers sandy loamy soils, but does well in quite a wide range of soils
• Ohio State University info on Picea pungens Glauca
• Colorado Blue Spruce Sizes and Availability:
--- Colorado Blue Spruce seedlings [NOW SHIPPING]
--- Colorado Blue Spruce transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Colorado Blue Spruce plug seedlings [NOW SHIPPING]
--- Colorado Blue Spruce plug transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Colorado Blue Spruce conservation grade plug transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
• order using the green e-commerce buttons (if visible), or use our evergreen mailorder form or our custom invoice request form
• Comparable alternative species: Black Spruce, Black Hills Spruce, Meyers Spruce, Norway Spruce, Serbian Spruce and White Spruce. Confused about species? Check out our Evergreen Tree Buyers Guide
These specific evergreen plugs are available and shipping now. If you’d like to delay shipment to later on in Spring 2019, please specify that date in a follow up email after placing your order. However, shipping ends for these plug seedlings by mid-June 2019.
Plug seedlings are shipped in bundles, but we offer individual plastic packaging, eco-friendly packaging, cotton gift bag packaging and custom laser cut pendants for all sizes of plug seedlings and plug transplants, sold separately in matching quantities.