[a.k.a. Frazer Fir, Frasier Fir]
Fraser Fir will develop all of the classic looks of a Christmas tree at maturity, featuring short, soft, dark-green needles with silver undersides. It is a beautiful ornamental, and is widely considered the finest Christmas tree in North America (and most commonly misspelled: Frazer Fir, Frasier Fir, Fraser Fur, Frazier Fir, etc.). Fraser Fir plug seedlings are almost always the first species to sell out year after year.
These Fraser Fir plug seedlings grow to a maximum height of 50 feet [rarely to 80ft], and will flourish in fertile, rich & sandy soils which are slightly acidic. In any case, they must have good drainage to prevent phytophthora root rot and other crown rot diseases. Fraser Fir are tolerant of shade, but tend to prefer full sun. A good rule of thumb is to plant them from Tennessee north, but you can also plant Fraser Fir plug seedlings farther south if in areas of higher elevation.
Fraser Fir plug seedlings are so similar to Balsam Fir plug seedlings that scientists believe that not too long ago they were one and the same…”not too long ago”, as in tens of thousands of years ago.
PLANT IN RECORD TIME:
Watch how to plant evergreen seedling plugs faster and with less effort than any other type of “bare root” evergreen tree. With just a cordless drill, a garden cart or wheelbarrow, a 5 gallon bucket of water, and any old/dull/rusty 1 inch drill bit you have lying around, you can realistically plant one plug seedling per minute. Your back will thank us later 🙂
Fraser Fir plug seedlings: characteristics and info
• prefers hardiness zones 4-7
• prefers full sun to partial shade
• mature height and spread: up to 50 ft high [rarely to 80ft], 20 ft spread
• prefers slightly acidic soils, rich well draining soils, sandy soils, avoid wet or swampy soils
• Missouri Botanical Garden info on Abies fraseri
• Fraser Fir Sizes and Availability:
--- Fraser Fir seedlings [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Fraser Fir transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Fraser Fir plug seedlings [available in Spring 2019]
--- Fraser Fir plug transplants [now shipping]
--- Fraser Fir conservation grade plug transplants [now shipping]
• order using the green buttons below (if visible), or use our evergreen mailorder form or our custom invoice request form
• Comparable alternative species: Balsam Fir, Canaan Fir, Concolor Fir, and Douglas Fir. Confused about species? Check out our Evergreen Tree Buyers Guide
These specific evergreen plug seedlings are available for pre-order now and start shipping April 22, 2019. If you’d like to delay shipment to May or even June of 2019, please specify that date in a follow up email after placing your order.