[a.k.a. Meyers Spruce, Chinese Blue Spruce, Dragon Spruce]
Meyer Spruce are a wonderful dark-green spruce with short needles and a slightly slower than average growth rate. Although many people want fast growing trees, this slower growth rate results in very dense growth. This makes Meyer Spruce very well-suited to applications such as windbreaks and privacy screens.
Meyer Spruce plug seedlings, approx 4-8″ tall [click to enlarge]
In terms of shape and needles and other characteristics, this species is virtually identical to the Colorado Blue Spruce but is more resistant to pests and disease. The conical shape, blue-green color and excellent needle retention make Meyer Spruce plug seedlings ideal as an ornamental.
Meyer Spruce are native to China, but are very commonly grown and planted throughout the United States, as far south as Northern Georgia and Northern Texas due to their drought tolerance and ability to grow in warmer zones. At higher elevations Meyer Spruce plug seedlings can survive even farther south. This species prefers full sun, but can grow in both light and heavier soils and a wide range of soil acidity. They reach a mature height of only about 40 feet, making them ideal for locations where overhead power lines and other obstructions are an issue.
PLANT IN RECORD TIME:
Watch how to plant evergreen seedling plugs faster and with less effort than any other type of “bare root” evergreen tree. With just a cordless drill, a garden cart or wheelbarrow, a 5 gallon bucket of water, and any old/dull/rusty 1 inch drill bit you have lying around, you can realistically plant one plug seedling per minute. Your back will thank us later 🙂
Meyer Spruce plug seedlings: characteristics and info• prefers hardiness zones 3-8
• prefers full sun, but does ok in partial shade
• mature height and spread: up to 40 ft high, 30 ft spread
• prefers acidic soils but is widely adaptable to many soil types
• Conifer Society info on Picea meyeri
• Meyer Spruce Sizes and Availability:
--- Meyer Spruce plug seedlings [pre-order now for Spring 2019]
--- Meyer Spruce plug transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Meyer Spruce conservation grade plug transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
• order using the green buttons below (if visible), or use our evergreen mailorder form or our custom invoice request form
• Comparable alternative species: Black Spruce, Black Hills Spruce, Colorado Blue Spruce, Norway Spruce, Serbian Spruce and White Spruce. Confused about species? Check out our Evergreen Tree Buyers Guide
PRE-ORDER NOW FOR SPRING 2019!
These specific evergreen plug seedlings are available for pre-order now and start shipping in Spring 2019 when they say they are ready [TBD]. If you’d like to delay shipment to May or even June of 2019, please specify that date in a follow up email after placing your order.