[Picea glauca ‘Densata’]
Perfect for privacy screens and natural windbreaks, Black Hills Spruce are a slow-growing, compact tree, and slow growth equals very dense growth.
Unlike many of the faster growing evergreen species, you cannot see through Black Hills Spruce as the tree matures. It’s short bright bluish green needles and a dense, conical shape makes this evergreen species a landscaper’s friend.
Black Hills Spruce plug seedlings for sale, approx 4-8″ tall [click to enlarge]
Black Hills Spruce plug seedlings are virtually immune to the most common spruce pests and is very tolerant of drying winter winds. These characteristics make this species ideal as an ornamental, privacy screen or windbreak if you have some patience with it’s slower growth. Black Hills Spruce can reach heights of 40-50 feet over a life span of up to 300 years.
Although named after the South Dakota region in which it is naturally found, Black Hills Spruce plug seedlings actually thrive in a much wider range of cooler, moist regions, including states as far south as Georgia if planted at a higher elevation.
PLANT IN RECORD TIME:
Watch how to plant evergreen seedling plugs faster and with less effort than any other type of “bare root” evergreen tree. With just a cordless drill, a garden cart or wheelbarrow, a 5 gallon bucket of water, and any old/dull/rusty 1 inch drill bit you have lying around, you can realistically plant one plug seedling per minute. Your back will thank us later 🙂
Black Hills Spruce plug seedlings: characteristics and info• prefers hardiness zones 3-6
• prefers full sun, does ok in partial shade
• mature height and spread: 35-50ft high, 15-20ft spread
• prefers lighter, richer soils; loamy soils; sandy soils
• Missouri Botanical Gardens info on Picea glauca ‘Densata’
• Black Hills Spruce Sizes and Availability:
--- Black Hills Spruce seedlings [pre-order now for Spring 2019]
--- Black Hills Spruce transplants [pre-order now for Spring 2019]
--- Black Hills Spruce plug seedlings [pre-order now for Spring 2019]
--- Black Hills Spruce plug transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Black Hills Spruce conservation grade plug transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
• order using the green buttons below (if visible), or use our evergreen mailorder form or our custom invoice request form
• Comparable alternative species: Black Spruce, Colorado Blue Spruce, Meyers Spruce, Norway Spruce, Serbian Spruce and White Spruce. Confused about species? Check out our Evergreen Tree Buyers Guide
PRE-ORDER NOW FOR SPRING 2019!
These specific evergreen plug seedlings are available for pre-order now and start shipping in Spring 2019 when they say they are ready [TBD]. If you’d like to delay shipment to May or even June of 2019, please specify that date in a follow up email after placing your order.