[a.k.a. Abies mariana, Picea nigra, Picea brevifolia]
The Black Spruce is a slow growing northern species featuring dense foliage and good shade tolerance. It only grows to about 30ft tall except in rare circumstances.
This species grows in a small narrow columnar shape and is tolerant of shade. Therefore Black Spruce is well-suited to tight planting spaces where houses and other objects tend to block the sun. It is commonly found in the Great Lake States and the Northeast US, and is widespread throughout Canada.
SOLD OUT till Spring 2020, no other options available for this species
Although Black Spruce is generally a zone 2-5 species, it can do well in zone 6 if planted in a persistently moist location. It is a perfect species for wetlands and lowland locations around ponds and streams. Black Spruce is a good companion species for the similarly wet-loving but deciduous Tamarack Larch.
Black Spruce seedlings are remarkably tolerant of poor soils, and are relatively free of pests and disease. They are a “climax species”, meaning they tend to be the last plants to mature in a disturbed area [drought, fire, etc.] but eventually dominate all others until another major disturbance takes place.
Black Spruce seedlings: characteristics and info• prefers hardiness zones 3-5 but can handle zone 6 if planted in a wet location
• prefers full sun to partial shade
• mature height and spread: up to 50ft high, 10-15ft spread
• prefers darker, rich soils, swampy soils, darker soils, boot sucking mud, wetlands
• Wikipedia info on Black Spruce
• Black Spruce Sizes and Availability:
--- Black Spruce seedlings [sold out till Spring 2020]
• order using the green e-commerce buttons (if visible), or use our evergreen mailorder form or our custom invoice request form
• Comparable alternative species: Black Hills Spruce, Colorado Blue Spruce, Meyers Spruce, Norway Spruce, Serbian Spruce and White Spruce. Confused about species? Check out our Evergreen Tree Buyers Guide
CURRENTLY SOLD OUT in this species in this size, see size and availability options above. Please consider joining our very unobtrusive email list to be notified when we begin selling and shipping this species in this size
Prices below include all shipping and handling and a one year guarantee*:
5-pack for $29.00 (5 bare root evergreen seedlings)
10-pack for $39.00 (10 bare root evergreen seedlings)
25-pack for $57.00 (25 bare root evergreen seedlings)
50-pack for $80.00 (50 bare root evergreen seedlings)
100-pack for $115.00 (100 bare root evergreen seedlings)