Norway Spruce are a fast growing, dark-green spruce with short needles. The pleasant appearance of this spruce makes it ideal as an ornamental. Norway Spruce well-suited to applications such as evergreen windbreaks and privacy screens.
However, Norway Spruce foliage is not dense compared to many slower growing species. So it is often best to plant two rows of Norway Spruce seedlings in a foot-step pattern to speed up the closure rate of a natural privacy screen. Another privacy screen trick is to mix Norway Spruce seedlings with a slower growing species such as Black Hills Spruce or Meyers Spruce. Norways provide good height fairly quickly, while the slower species provide dense foliage.
Norway Spruce are the dominant evergreen throughout Europe. Although they are not native to the US, they are commonly planted throughout the Northeast and as far south as Tennessee. Norway Spruce seedlings can survive even farther south if planted at higher elevation, but are best suited to temperate climates, need full sun, and prefer richer soils. They can reach a jaw-dropping height of 200 feet, but most max out at a “merely impressive” 80 feet.
Norway Spruce seedlings: characteristics and options• prefers hardiness zones 3-6
• prefers full sun to partial shade
• mature height and spread: 60-80 ft high, 30 ft spread
• prefers slightly acidic loamy soils, but is quite adaptable to a wide range of soils
• Morton Arboretum info on Picea abies
• Norway Spruce Sizes and Availability:
--- Norway Spruce seedlings [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Norway Spruce transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Norway Spruce plug seedlings [NOW SHIPPING]
--- Norway Spruce plug transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Norway Spruce conservation grade plug transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
• order using the green e-commerce buttons (if visible), or use our evergreen mailorder form or our custom invoice request form
• Comparable alternative species: Black Spruce, Black Hills Spruce, Colorado Blue Spruce, Meyers Spruce, Serbian Spruce and White Spruce. Confused about species? Check out our Evergreen Tree Buyers Guide
CURRENTLY SOLD OUT in this species in this size, see options above. Please consider joining our very unobtrusive email list to be notified when we begin selling and shipping this species in this size
Prices below include all shipping and handling and a one year guarantee*:
5-pack for $32.00 (5 evergreen plug seedlings)
10-pack for $45.00 (10 evergreen plug seedlings)
25-pack for $77.00 (25 evergreen plug seedlings)
50-pack for $120.00 (50 evergreen plug seedlings)
100-pack for $179.00 (100 evergreen plug seedlings)