Serbian Spruce mature to become the most beautiful ornamental spruce, period, according to many in the nursery industry. Fairly fast-growing, Serbian Spruce seedlings do well in full sun.
SOLD OUT till Fall 2019, see Serbian Spruce plug seedlings
Originally from Bosnia and Serbia in Southeastern Europe, Serbian Spruce feature short, dark green, flat needles (somewhat similar to a Hemlock) with a breeze revealing lovely silver undersides. This species features beautiful purple seed cones and a visually pleasing overall conical shape.
Suitable for zones 4-7, this species can be planted much farther south than similar species such as Colorado Blue Spruce seedlings or Norway Spruce seedlings or White Spruce seedlings, especially at higher elevations. They reach a height of up to 60 feet [occasionally to 100 feet] with a spread of 20 feet or more at the base. They prefer richer soils, but can do well in sandier soils if watered once or twice per week during dry periods. (Rick’s note: I planted my daughter’s Serbian Spruce in about 6″ of rich soil at the top of a sandy hill, but rain runoff from our roof into that planting spot is significant. It has grown 15 feet in 15 years). Few natural pests or diseases affect Serbians other than White Pine Weevil, which can be easily controlled with over the counter pesticides.
Serbian Spruce seedlings: characteristics and info• prefers hardiness zones 4-7
• prefers full sun, but does ok in partial shade
• mature height and spread: up to 60 ft high, 20 ft spread
• prefers loamy sandy soils, but does well in a wide range of soils
• Missouri Botanical Garden info on Picea omorika
• Serbian Spruce Sizes and Availability:
--- Serbian Spruce seedlings [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Serbian Spruce transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Serbian Spruce plug seedlings [NOW SHIPPING]
--- Serbian Spruce plug transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Serbian Spruce conservation grade plug transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
• order using the green e-commerce buttons (if visible), or use our evergreen mailorder form or our custom invoice request form
• Comparable alternative species: Black Spruce, Black Hills Spruce, Colorado Blue Spruce, Meyers Spruce, Norway Spruce and White Spruce. Confused about species? Check out our Evergreen Tree Buyers Guide
CURRENTLY SOLD OUT in this species in this size, see size and availability options above. Please consider joining our very unobtrusive email list to be notified when we begin selling and shipping this species in this size
Prices below include all shipping and handling and a one year guarantee*:
5-pack for $29.00 (5 bare root evergreen seedlings)
10-pack for $39.00 (10 bare root evergreen seedlings)
25-pack for $57.00 (25 bare root evergreen seedlings)
50-pack for $80.00 (50 bare root evergreen seedlings)
100-pack for $115.00 (100 bare root evergreen seedlings)