White Spruce are excellent for use as windbreaks and privacy screens due to their generally thick foliage combined with fast growth, an uncommon characteristic among evergreen trees.
This species of spruce features short, bluish-green needles and a nice overall appearance, great for ornamental uses. White Spruce seedlings feature a conical shape which spreads fairly wide at the base if planted in the open. They tend to retain needles better than most other spruces, and offer great protection from strong winds all year round.
White Spruce are an important shelter and food source for grouse and other seed eating birds, as well as red squirrels.
Native to the northern United States and Canada, White Spruce seedlings are very tolerant of cold windy conditions, partial shade and wet soils such as stream banks and lake shores. White Spruce habitat is generally from Indiana north, although they grow at higher elevations in lower states. They are the most northern species of tree in North America.
White Spruce seedlings: characteristics and options• prefers hardiness zones 3-6
• prefers full sun to partial shade
• mature height and spread: up to 100 ft high, 20-25 ft spread
• does well in a wide range of soils
• Missouri Botanical Garden info on Picea glauca
• White Spruce Sizes and Availability:
--- White Spruce seedlings [now shipping]
--- White Spruce transplants [now shipping]
--- White Spruce plug seedlings [now shipping]
--- White Spruce plug transplants [available in Fall 2019]
--- White Spruce conservation grade plug transplants [available in Fall 2019]
• order using the green buttons below, or use our evergreen mailorder form
• Comparable alternative species: Black Spruce, Black Hills Spruce, Colorado Blue Spruce, Meyers Spruce, Norway Spruce and Serbian Spruce. Confused about species? Check out our Evergreen Tree Buyers Guide
These specific bare root evergreen seedlings are available and shipping now [shipping info]. If you’d like to delay shipment, please specify that date in a follow up email after placing your order. However, shipping season for these specific evergreen trees ends around Thanksgiving week 2018 and resumes in Spring 2019. If you need evergreen trees shipped before or after these dates, please look at our various sizes and species of evergreen plug seedlings and evergreen plug transplants, which can be shipped at nearly any time of year.