Norway Spruce transplants are a fast growing, dark-green spruce with short needles. The pleasant appearance of this evergreen species makes it ideal as a landscape ornamental tree. The large main branches arch upwards, while the smaller outer branches droop downwards.
Norway Spruce transplants are well-suited to applications such as windbreaks and privacy screens, although its foliage is not as dense as some other species due to its fast growth. For true privacy and wind protection using just this species, two rows of Norway Spruce transplants placed in a footstep pattern are better than one.
Norway Spruce are the dominant evergreen in Europe, and although they are not native to the US, they are commonly planted throughout the Northeast and as far south as Tennessee. Norway Spruce transplants are fairly disease resistant and have an aggressive root system which helps them outcompete other plants. They can survive even farther south if planted at higher elevation, but are best suited to temperate climates with full sun and richer soils.
Norway Spruce are among the fastest growing evergreens, and can reach a jaw-dropping height of 200 feet in their native European environments. Most in North America only reach about 60 feet, and max out at a “merely impressive” 80 feet.
Norway Spruce transplants: characteristics and options• prefers hardiness zones 3-6
• prefers full sun to partial shade
• mature height and spread: 60-80 ft high, 30 ft spread
• prefers slightly acidic loamy soils, but is quite adaptable to a wide range of soils
• Morton Arboretum info on Picea abies
• Norway Spruce Sizes and Availability:
--- Norway Spruce seedlings [pre-order now for Spring 2019]
--- Norway Spruce transplants [pre-order now for Spring 2019]
--- Norway Spruce plug seedlings [pre-order now for Spring 2019]
--- Norway Spruce plug transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Norway Spruce conservation grade plug transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
• order using the green buttons below (if visible), or use our evergreen mailorder form or our custom invoice request form
• Comparable alternative species: Black Spruce, Black Hills Spruce, Colorado Blue Spruce, Meyers Spruce, Serbian Spruce and White Spruce. Confused about species? Check out our Evergreen Tree Buyers Guide
PRE-ORDER NOW FOR SPRING 2019!
These specific bare root evergreen trees are available for pre-order now and start shipping March 25, 2019. If you’d like to delay shipment to April or May of 2019, please specify that date in a follow up email after placing your order. If you need evergreen trees shipped before or after these dates, please look at our various sizes and species of plug seedlings and plug transplants, which can be shipped at nearly any time of year.