[a.k.a. Frazer Fir, Frasier Fir]
Fraser Fir transplants have classic looks, featuring short, soft, dark-green needles with silver undersides revealed by upturning branches. This is arguably the most beautiful species of ornamental evergreen tree in the United States.
Sold out till Fall 2019, see Fraser Fir plug seedlings, or take a look at these two very similar species:
• Balsam Fir seedlings, Balsam Fir transplants, Balsam Fir plug seedlings
• Canaan Fir plug seedlings, Canaan Fir transplants
Fraser Fir is widely considered the finest Christmas tree in the industry (and most commonly misspelled: Frazer Fir, Frasier Fir, Fraser Fur, etc.). Somewhat rare in nature due to their small native range, the fantastic characteristics of Fraser Fir as a Christmas tree make them anything but rare in a tree farm.
Fraser Fir transplants reach a maximum height of 80 feet at maturity, and will flourish in fertile, rocky & sandy soils which are slightly acidic. In any case, they must have good drainage. They are somewhat tolerant of shade, but prefer full sun. A good rule of thumb is to plant them from Tennessee north, but you can also plant them in areas of higher elevation. A “true Fir”, this is the only species of Fir which is native to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
Fraser Fir transplants [in species and characteristics] are so similar to Balsam Fir transplants that scientists agree that not too long ago they were exactly the same. The argument continues as to whether these truly are distinct species, or whether one is a natural cultivar or ecotype of the other.
Fraser Fir transplants: characteristics and info• prefers hardiness zones 4-7
• prefers full sun to partial shade
• mature height and spread: up to 50 ft high [rarely to 80ft], 20 ft spread
• prefers slightly acidic soils, rich well draining soils, sandy soils, avoid wet or swampy soils
• Missouri Botanical Garden info on Abies fraseri
• Fraser Fir Sizes and Availability:
--- Fraser Fir seedlings [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Fraser Fir transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Fraser Fir plug seedlings [NOW SHIPPING]
--- Fraser Fir plug transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Fraser Fir conservation grade plug transplants [now shipping]
• order using the green e-commerce buttons (if visible), or use our evergreen mailorder form or our custom invoice request form
• Comparable alternative species: Balsam Fir, Canaan Fir, Concolor Fir, and Douglas Fir. Confused about species? Check out our Evergreen Tree Buyers Guide
CURRENTLY SOLD OUT in this species in this size, see size and availability options above. Please consider joining our very unobtrusive email list to be notified when we begin selling and shipping this species in this size
Prices below include all shipping and handling and a one year guarantee*:
5-pack for $45.00 (5 bareroot evergreen transplants)
10-pack for $57.00 (10 bare root evergreen transplants)
25-pack for $109.00 (25 bare root evergreen transplants)
50-pack for $179.00 (50 bare root evergreen transplants)
100-pack for $273.00 (100 bare root evergreen transplants)