(a.k.a. Silver Fir, Eastern Fir, Canadian Fir)
(Abies balsamea or Pinus balsamea)
Highly fragrant and very popular as a Christmas tree, Balsam Fir can grow to heights of 60-90 feet, can grow in partial shade and somewhat swampy soils, and can live for over 200 years.
Balsam Fir serves well as a privacy screen or windbreak due to it’s fairly average 1 foot annual growth rate combined with its dense foliage. The popularity of Balsam Fir transplants for planting as a Christmas tree simply cannot be overstated. Balsam Fir are excellent for use as a landscape ornamental due to their conical shape, beautiful color and fragrance, and dense foliage.
Balsam Fir transplants are so similar in species characteristics to Fraser Fir transplants that scientists believe that not too long ago [and we’re talking millennia here] they were one and the same.
Wildlife rely extensively on this true Fir species for shelter and also for food [mostly the seed]. Although lthough deer may eat small amounts, they do not prefer it over other food sources. Martens, hares and songbirds often take refuge in thick Balsam Fir stands, making it ideal for attracting small wildlife.
Balsam Fir transplants: characteristics and info• prefers hardiness zones 3-7
• prefers full sun to partial shade
• mature height and spread: up to 90ft high, 20-25ft spread
• prefers darker, richer soils; loamy soils; damp soils
• Wikipedia detailed info on Abies balsamea
• Balsam Fir Sizes and Availability:
--- Balsam Fir seedlings [pre-order now for Spring 2019]
--- Balsam Fir transplants [pre-order now for Spring 2019]
--- Balsam Fir plug seedlings [pre-order now for Spring 2019]
--- Balsam Fir plug transplants [now shipping]
--- Balsam Fir conservation grade plug transplants [now shipping]
• order using the green buttons below (if visible), or use our evergreen mailorder form or our custom invoice request form
• Comparable alternative species: Canaan Fir, Concolor Fir, Douglas Fir, and Fraser Fir. Confused about species? Check out our Evergreen Tree Buyers Guide
PRE-ORDER NOW FOR SPRING 2019!
These specific bare root evergreen trees are available for pre-order now and start shipping March 25, 2019. If you’d like to delay shipment to April or May of 2019, please specify that date in a follow up email after placing your order. If you need evergreen trees shipped before or after these dates, please look at our various sizes and species of plug seedlings and plug transplants, which can be shipped at nearly any time of year.