[Picea pungens Glauca]
The most popular Spruce by any measure, Colorado Blue Spruce transplants are often the primary choice for Christmas trees, ornamental landscaping, privacy screens and windbreaks, and can reach heights of over 100 feet.
This species features a pleasing conical shape, and can live for up to 800 years. This Spruce is anchored with a deep root system, protecting it from mild drought and high winds.
The needles of Colorado Blue Spruce transplants are four-sided and can be quite sharp (“pungens” is Latin for “sharp”), and needle color varies from silvery blue to greenish blue. The Glauca variety (which we sell), tend to have more blueish and silvery needles. About 60% develop the famous “blue” color, while the rest will remain more greenish. It is a genetic trait which cannot determined for another few years.
Colorado Blue Spruce are very hardy, dense, and grow at an average rate for an evergreen. It’s cones are anywhere from 2 to 4 inches long and feature a brown chestnut color. It requires little pruning to maintain its shape, and retains its needles better than almost any spruce (handy when removing it from your home after Christmas).
Colorado Spruce grow from Kentucky north (but can do well in lower states such as New Mexico and Arizona if planted at elevations above 5,000 feet) and east of Idaho. They can handle a little bit of shade, but full sun is best.
Colorado Blue Spruce transplants: characteristics and info• prefers hardiness zones 3-6
• prefers full sun but does fine in partial shade when young
• mature height and spread: up to 75 ft high, 20 ft spread
• prefers sandy loamy soils, but does well in quite a wide range of soils
• Ohio State University info on Picea pungens Glauca
• Colorado Blue Spruce Sizes and Availability:
--- Colorado Blue Spruce seedlings [NOW SHIPPING]
--- Colorado Blue Spruce transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Colorado Blue Spruce plug seedlings [NOW SHIPPING]
--- Colorado Blue Spruce plug transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Colorado Blue Spruce conservation grade plug transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
• order using the green e-commerce buttons (if visible), or use our evergreen mailorder form or our custom invoice request form
• Comparable alternative species: Black Spruce, Black Hills Spruce, Meyers Spruce, Norway Spruce, Serbian Spruce and White Spruce. Confused about species? Check out our Evergreen Tree Buyers Guide
CURRENTLY SOLD OUT in this species in this size, see size and availability options above. Please consider joining our very unobtrusive email list to be notified when we begin selling and shipping this species in this size
Prices below include all shipping and handling and a one year guarantee*:
5-pack for $45.00 (5 bareroot evergreen transplants)
10-pack for $57.00 (10 bare root evergreen transplants)
25-pack for $109.00 (25 bare root evergreen transplants)
50-pack for $179.00 (50 bare root evergreen transplants)
100-pack for $273.00 (100 bare root evergreen transplants)