[a.k.a. Black Pine]
Austrian Pine transplants feature very long, dark green needles and can reach a height of up to 60 feet, with a spread of up to 40 feet. This is one of the hardiest of evergreen species, able to thrive in occasionally very dry conditions and slightly alkaline soils, uncommon for an evergreen. Austrian Pine are fast growing and amazingly adaptive, tolerant of wind, temperatures of 20 below zero, road salt, air pollution, drought and hot weather. Although officially rated to grow as far south as zone 7, they can occasionally be successfully grown in zone 8 once properly established. Austrian Pine transplants thrive in full sun, but also do well in partial shade, and grow in sandy, well-drained soils as well as heavy clay. These wide ranging characteristics make Austrian Pine transplants a very good choice for most urban environments. However, this species needs supplemental water when first planted, just like any other.
Young Austrian Pine will retain lower branches and foliage, but these will often die off as they reach mature height. They therefore should be mixed with other species if you are planting for privacy or windbreak.
Although the name obviously means they are not native to the United States, the many remarkable characteristics of Austrian Pine make them a popular evergreen tree with a wide range of uses: landscaping, along roads and in urban environments [salt spray and salt runoff], as Christmas trees, privacy screens and wildlife habitat.
Austrian Pine transplants: characteristics and options• prefers hardiness zones 3-7
• prefers full sun, does ok in partial shade
• mature height and spread: 60ft high, 20-40ft spread
• prefers sandy well draining soils, does OK in a wide range of soils such as clay and alkaline soils, even road salt runoff
• Wikipedia detailed info on Pinus nigra
• Austrian Pine Sizes and Availability:
--- Austrian Pine seedlings [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Austrian Pine transplants [discontinued in this size]
--- Austrian Pine plug seedlings [now shipping]
--- Austrian Pine plug transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
--- Austrian Pine conservation grade plug transplants [sold out till Fall 2019]
• order using the green buttons below (if visible), or use our evergreen mailorder form or our custom invoice request form
• Comparable alternative species: Eastern White Pine, Ponderosa Pine, and Red Pine. Confused about species? Check out our Evergreen Tree Buyers Guide